Wednesday, August 24, 2005

August 24th: Sake, Portsmouth

In attendance: Mycroft, Moxie, Ace, Wasabi, The Count, Zeus

This was one of my favorite Movers meetings. It was uproarious at times, and constantly fun. We started with drinks, some of us even before arriving at Sake. Ace, Mycroft and The Count had sake. Wasabi had beer. Moxie had a drink called a Woo-Woo, I don't know what was in it. And I had a Purple Haze, which is Chambord and sake. I liked my drink, but I didn't finish it because I had to drive. It was my first sake experience and I rarely drink, so when my face started to feel warm after about five sips, I thought it best not to finish.
The service was really bad, which apparently is unusual. At one point, the waitress seemed to be deliberately ignoring us. And I don't think Mycroft ever got a plate. The food, however, was very enjoyable. I don't know the names of anything, but the tuna was highly regarded. Ace ordered an assortment of sushi for everyone to share. We started with edamame and fried tofu. Both were very good. I had vegetable tempura and really liked it. Hopefully everyone else will fill in the food details because I don't know what exactly was eaten. For dessert, Ace had red bean ice cream and Moxie and I each had ginger ice cream. Moxie made the observation that the ginger ice cream tasted like egg nog. I agree.

Zeus
Move Me


We had:
  • Tuna
  • Mackerel
  • Shrimp
  • Tuna Maki
  • Yellowtail and Scallion Maki
  • Eel Maki
  • Avocado Maki
  • Chili Tuna Maki
  • Special California Maki
All was good. The nice thing about Sake is that it is never something SPECIAL but consistently good. Although the service was absolutely horrendous.

And we did learn... through argument and eventually confirmation with Brother of Ace and Father of Ace, that Scrod is either a baby Haddock or baby Cod. Not a cut of fish, or its own species.

Ace, Ready to Move

2 comments:

Ace, Mover said...

Totally forgot your comment, Zeus:

"The people there are trashy. Not Trashy-Funny, Trashy-They're going to stab you."

Mycroft said...

The service was really bad. No, I never recieved a plate. Also, at one point I had to raise my hand, third-grade style, until someone came.

It was really fun anyway.

Just Moved - Mycroft